Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Waiting for the shadow of the earth

The moon is 36% full, a waxing crescent. Even so its bright light as it follows close behind the sun lights our nighttime fur with the faintest memory of ginger fire. Moonshadows are cast long and already a deep darkness is in them. When the moon is full there will be an eclipse. Then there will be a magic in the air as the light fades and stars come thick and rich into the darkest of nights and then the light floods back again as the earth's shadow moves away, back out into the infinite treasure of space. We are hoping for a clear night, a night of shadows and stars. Now an owl call over the fields, its soft call traces the path of its moonlit flight.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh there is going to be a lunar eclipse? FAB! Thanks for telling us, I shall look out for it. Whooppppeeee!

By the way I wrote a bit about 'Her' on my blog, and put the 3 hares pictures there.... I hope she won't mind. If she does let me know and I'll take it down asap.

Happy adventuring!
The Fishing Lady

ChrisJ said...

I can't believe it has been 10 days since I've visited your blog! I've had a bad cold and cough and my head's a little thick! I knew something was missing. I wish I lived in Wiltshire so I could visit your show. Tell the Ginger Darlings I didn't mean to ignore them -- it's getting old that does it!! Spring will soon be here and I have daffodils to prove it. (But not grown here.) Still they are beautiful and St. David's Day is coming.