Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Windsinger and the dreaming cats

The Windsinger cat howls outside and the sky belongs only to stars. Some stars fall tonight, brief flight through the deep darkness. Inside the fire breathes warm in the hearth. Inside there is a glow of light. We sleep, curled on the sofa of gingercats, and as we sleep we dream, each a different dream now. Elmo dreams of running wild with the Windcat, bending the trees beneath his paw, flying through the sky. Maurice dreams of walking always beside Her. Martha dreams more for the caged cats. She will not let them rest now but whispers wildness into their sleep and brings memories of stories of mountains, stories their mothers told them even when they were kittens. And I, Pixie, what do I dream of ? I keep my dreams close and secret. I curl and dream and wait for the Windsinger's song to end.

8 comments:

Bimbimbie said...

Hello, I've just wandered around and found myself at your door - gorgeous cats including the black one, will linger for a little while and return another day now that I know my way *!*

Mary Beth said...

Martha's whispers are echoed across the water - George the Ginger Cat from NJ was twitching and murmuring in his sleep - dreaming of the wilds where he was born.

Jack, Persephone, Tenzing and Lancelot said...

Dreaming on the sofa by the fire seems like a good thing to do on a night like that. We hope you have wonderful dreams!

~Jack

Shammickite said...

Will you ever tell your secrets, Pixie?
JoJo would listen.
And she would dream with you.

Mickey's Musings said...

Hi Pixie,I discovered your blog by following a comment you made on
the Sumac stories blog. I looked at some of your posts and I must say,you live in a beautiful place! I enjoyed reading about you and your siblings. I look forward to seeing more of your adventures.
Purrs Mickey

Rowan said...

What a marvellous name for the wind - the Windsinger cat. I shall always think of the wind this way now.

Anonymous said...

You write beautifully. As a writer and cat lover myself, I have to say that your blog is enchanting. This particular entry makes me think of the woods where I grew up--one winter night while we were having a blizzard outside, I heard kitten cries. I rushed out to the woodpile and found two fuzzy babies, one white and one black. I was terrified they'd freeze alone without their mom and took them in. We found them homes, but that night will always stick with me, watching the heavy snow fall all around the innocent kits. I blog at conjuringink.wordpress.com, mostly about my three tabbies.

Kim said...

Hello dreaming cats. Cat dreams are very special, as I once found out when surrounded by my 3 dreaming felines. Horse dreams are something else entirely :)