Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The whole of the moon and the magic of words

Despite the weight of five cats all purring enchantment and sleep songs She woke in the night to worry, and rising we all walked out into the midnight garden. The sky was dark as the blackest cat and the moon so bright we could see both the crescent and the whole of the moon. A river of pale stars glowed in a rainbow arc across the darkness and an owl circled, made visible only by the sound of excited hunting cries. Leaves, silvered by pale moonlight, danced in the merest breath of breeze.
We stood, small as small in the universe and troubles melted into darkness.
Back in the bed we tried to curl around Her head as She read. And as She read a forest grew all around, and wolf hounds unfurled from pages, pale children, a beautiful girl, a magic handsome man with eyes as dark as the night sky and all the ways of the woods written in his quiet mind, a white horse, all filled the room and we marveled at the magic of books.

10 comments:

Angie said...

I felt I was with you all ... watching the night sky.

Steph said...

As I told you before - your dreamy feline accounts keep me going in my at present catless world !

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

You all seem very attuned to Her worry spells. We are not so soothing. We get excited at wee hour rising in hopes of some wee hour feeding.

Lydia said...

and I marvel at the magic of your writing!
I'm placing this post in my Voltaire's Quote badge in the sidebar at my blog. I change it whenever something dazzles me, as this did now.

The Ginger Darlings said...

Thank you. Seems to be a good book as She keeps waking up and reading it at night. But then maybe night time is the only time She can get any peace at the moment!

Morning's Minion said...

Cat company and books are good comfort on sleepless nights.

Linda Starr said...

Cats are wonderful creatures and seem to be cropping up all over the palce lately; I loved your tale about them here.

ChrisJ said...

As Lydia says, "magic writing". It is beautiful; full of pictures and sounds. I love it.

Librarynan said...

Until we moved here to the forest, we had never seen the white slash of stars that is the Milky Way, only the lights of the city. Our person often goes out at night to sit as well... they do worry, don't they, Gingers? Our being outside with her seems to help quiet the demons, as does your sitting quietly with Dear J.

Parker, Dorian, Little Brother, and Lucciano

Paper Pixie Gemma's mum said...

What a lovely balm to my soul tonight,in particular, you all are. Thankyou for your feline take on your beautiful place you live. You have not only made me smile with real warmth today, you have inspired a heartfelt giggle.I love the fact that so many of you fit on the bed and on the fridge.